February 23, 2004
Juz got back from lunch with wp, who came from his office in T.pagar to have lunch with me. Bless him. Actually, I really appreciate it. I spoke more words to him than I have in the entire 3 hours that I came into office. I really needed that. Like I needed MSN, and Juan on MSN (far away in distance, close at heart) and Meisen on MSN (for all the evil chatter, occasionally depressing).
Downstairs, @ Caltex House, a man was trying to do some slimming and beauty research. I was sitting down on the slabs, rather unladylike-ly, waiting for wp, when I found it amusing that he only 'attacked' people who are horizontally slightly challenged. And, for some reason, Raffles Place does not have a lot of such persons (juz full of unfit but slim, rebonded-hair girls). It was quite pathetic. Him, trying to get the flyer in his hand to that one-in-every-ten target, while others who don't qualify for the research (unfortunately, or not) blocked his way. I almost wanted to go up and say 'You want me to help you with the research?'
I'm quite a kind soul, really. Last Sat, I was outside Heeren, trying to make it on time to meet Mel and Joy, this teenager came up to me. I knew what he wanted, 'cos i've the gift of fore-telling. rubbish. 'cos I saw this pile of pink sheets in his hand. Neh, that survey in which you're supposed to say what's your fav shopping centre (Paragon, Wisma, Taka or Centrepoint), do you possess Master, Visa, Amex, etc cards, how often do you come to Orchard.. etc. Tell you, I've done that survey like three hundred and ninety eight times and still, they want me to do it time afer time, if I'm walking alone that very same cursed stretch of Orchard Road. And since I do go out alone quite often, being independent and loving my own company, I am their best target for the survey.
Anyway, I was walking briskly, and even before he could say anything, I said 'I already did this lots of times. sorry.'
he: Oh, can you do this survey please? it will just take you awhile...
me: I know. I did this many many times already.
he: erm, please...
me: *sigh, Okay, come. give me.
he: thank you...
so, I did the survey for the three hundred and ninety-ninth time. I couldn't bring myself to refuse him. 'cos it was a bloody hot day, sunny and all. And I think he's been standing there for hours trying to find some kind soul who would entertain him and make him meet his quota by one for that day. I, just, couldn't refuse.
But in my mind, I know not to trust any stupid research results on papers. I pride researches and appreciate the vigour and impact of research done with integrity. Not this one, definitely. Tis one jus a waste of resources and exploitation of the kind folks. Like me.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 13:23